The government has revealed that a further two million homes now have access to superfast broadband and that the UK broadband rollout is on-track to reach 95% of homes by 2017.
The national rollout of superfast broadband is set to deliver 24 mbps to properties that are not currently covered by the existing commercial networks.
The programme is targeting 95% access for all homes in the UK by 2017 and is on track to meet this ambition. The government is now pressing forward to ensure that the remaining 5% of homes will also receive adequate broadband connections.
At present, an estimated 80% of UK homes have access to superfast speeds with 40,000 homes and businesses reached each week, as the UK leads the “big five” in the EU in terms of superfast broadband rollout.
Culture Secretary Sajid Javid said: “Today there are two million more UK homes and businesses with access to superfast broadband than there were two years ago as a result of this ambitious project.
“We want everyone in the UK to be able to enjoy the benefits of superfast broadband, that’s why we’ve begun work on reaching the last five per cent of communities not covered by existing plans.”
BT is playing a significant role in the implementation of superfast connections. Joe Garner, CEO of Openreach, BT’s local network business, commented: “the programme is on schedule overall and our people continue to work flat-out on connecting homes and business in the UK’s hard-to-reach areas”.
Innovators of digital technology which improves people’s mental health can now apply for a share of a £400k fund to speed up the adoption of their product by the NHS
Process innovation specialist to support the continued digital transformation of council services
Nokia is forming a partnership with Bristol Is Open, the ambitious joint venture between the University of Bristol and Bristol City Council ... read more