BT has completed the rollout of its fibre broadband to 95% of premises across Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly, five years after it pledged to provide superfast connectivity to the region.
Under the original £132 million deal, BT was set to provide 80% coverage, but BT has exceeded this, building upon its 93% coverage levels it announced in November.
BT have announced that nearly a third of connections will be fibre-to-the-premise (FTTP) connections to deliver ‘ultrafast’ speeds; BT estimates that Cornwall’s FTTP connections account for 40% of those type in the UK.
The 55,000 homes now connected can have their services delivered by a choice of 60 different internet service providers to choose from across Cornwall.
Nigel Ashcroft, Superfast Cornwall programme director commented: “This is great news for the Cornwall economy and it vindicates the brave decision by Cornwall Council over five years ago to invest in a partnership with BT and the EU on a superfast broadband project, far ahead of most other areas in Europe.”
“Whilst 95% coverage is a remarkable achievement for Cornwall, we have not forgotten about the remaining most rural and hardest to reach 5%, which is why the council recently announced a further project that aims to bring access to superfast broadband to at least 99% of premises in the region.”
Digital economy minister Ed Vaizey added: “Superfast Cornwall has done a remarkable job in transforming the digital landscape of the region.”
“Superfast broadband’s role as one of the strongest drivers of growth is clearly evident, which is why the government, together with local authorities, is investing more than £1bn to take superfast coverage to 95 per cent of the UK by 2017.”
Innovators of digital technology which improves people’s mental health can now apply for a share of a £400k fund to speed up the adoption of their product by the NHS
Process innovation specialist to support the continued digital transformation of council services
Nokia is forming a partnership with Bristol Is Open, the ambitious joint venture between the University of Bristol and Bristol City Council ... read more